I made this vegan garlic Alfredo sauce tonight … and it was a hit!
The recipe is from “The Vegan 8“, so it’s only eight ingredients. I found it took a little longer than the recipe suggests to make. It took about double the time for me to render down the onion and garlic, but still not long altogether. Very easy to make too. Basically, you just render down the onion and garlic in some veggie broth. Then mix everything in a blender and add to pasta. It was creamy and garlicky … just the way I like it. Don’t forget to soak the cashews!
I’ll repost the recipe here, but make sure you give some lover over at The Vegan 8 if you do use the recipe.
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (should be about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups vegetarian broth, separated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 (heaping) cup raw cashews, soaked (soak overnight if you don’t have a powerful blender)
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Add the onion and one cup of broth to a large pan over medium-low heat. Cook about eight minutes or until onion is tender.
- After several minutes, add the garlic and cook until all the broth is evaporated.
- Put the cooked onion and garlic in the blender and add remaining ingredients (start with about 3/4 cup of remaining broth and add more as needed). Blend on high for a few minutes or until creamy and smooth.
The son went back for three servings … and he’s not vegan. So that should tell you all you need to know. winking smiley